Visiteurs 845
Modifié le 10-May-09
10-May-09 créé
54 photos

  • Don't forget the "SLIDESHOW" button
  • N'oubliez pas le bouton "SLIDESHOW"


Le Sanatorium Joseph Lemaire

L'institut Joseph Lemaire est en fait un sanatorium, et non un préventorium comme la plupart des autres centres construits dans l'entre-deux guerres. Au début, le sanatorium

Bâti en 1937 par Maxime Brunfaut

Il hébergait surtout des malades atteints de tuberculose. Encore plus que l'Hélio-Marin, le sanatorium dispose de grandes fenètres tournées vers le soleil. Le sanatorium reçoit le nom de Joseph Lemaire, du nom du directeur de la Prévoyance Sociale. Tout était fait pour éviter la contamination des visiteurs (c'est d'ailleurs la raison de la construction des sanatoriums): la visite des malades se faisait via de grandes baies vitrées. Le sanatorium était un mouroir de luxe avec une entrée principale à double voie, de grandes fenètres même pour les toilettes, des chambres donnant sur le soleil. Et une sortie de secours pour les corbillards du coté nord et une morgue sur le terrain même, juste au détour de la route.

Après la seconde guerre mondiale, l'utilisation d'antibiotiques (la streptomycine en particulier) a réduit le nombre de nouveaux cas. Le sanatorium s'est tourné vers les mineurs atteints de sillicose et les autres maladies chroniques. Il fermera définitivement ses portes en 1987, exactement 50 ans plus tard.

Source: www.zeepreventorium.org
Photos d'epoque: / Original postcard owned by Michael Hillas

Lemaire Sanatorium was built in 1937 by the Belgian architect Maxime Brunfaut and funded by the insurance company La Prévoyance Sociale (illustrated by the letters 'PS' on the mosaics on the image on the left), this imposing art deco building is located in Tombeek close to Overijse, 12.4 miles south of Brussels.

Its unique architecture moved away from the stagnant corridor hospitals built in the early part of the century and uses bold linear elements mixed with light airy interior spaces to give the hospital its flair. Due to its imaginative design, the sanatorium has been studied throughout the world and has been featured in many architectural publications.
The hospital is reached through a foreboding tree-lined lane that stretches on for about one mile (see video below). This majestic entry enhances the site in its natural environment and gives visitors a taste of what is to come.

Originally designed to accommodate 150 tuberculosis patients, the sanatorium offered a sumptuous environment within its remarkable halls. Light, space, and air were all considered key components to assist in healing the ill. Its isolated location brought nature to the patients to speed the healing process along with all of the luxurious facilities Lemaire Sanatorium had to offer. The building was transformed into an insane asylum in the early 80s and eventually was abandoned 50 years after its construction in 1987.
www.forbidden-places.net