C'est dans le parc de Mesen, commune de Lede en Belgique, que se trouve bien caché derrière les arbres le Château de Mesen.
Il fut construit au XVIe siècle, il a appartenu à différentes riches familles puis est devenu une école d'élite pour filles où les cours étaient dispensés en langue Française à partir de 1914. En raison de la loi obligeant que les cours soient donnés en Flamand dans les provinces Flamandes, l'école ferma en 1970.
Le chateau est devenu alors la propriété du ministère de la défense. Malgré un classement en 1979, le ministère le laissa pourrir ainsi. En raison du très mauvais état de la structure du bâtiment, des travaux de démolition ont commencés en 2008.
To protect the people of Lede against the enemy they used to build several wooden buildings on top of some hills. Later the wooden buildings were replaced with dungeons, more buildings were added later, what resulted in castles. In Lede there are four castles formed this way, one will be later known as Mesen castle.
The first owners of the castle were the family Bette. The castle, a square building with four towers was destroyed in the 1580's. At the end of the century the castle was rebuild.
In 1905 the neo-gothic wings are build next to the castle. In one wing they build a beautiful chapel.
In 1952, 200 years after the start of the boarding school, the building became a normal school for the people of Lede.
Over the years the castle has been built and destroyed many times, what remains from this building dates mainly from the early 17th century. In the middle of a 7 hectare park. Also the castle has a lot of outbuildings like stables and an orangery.
The building is abandoned in 1972. In 1999 there were plans to demolish the castle for parking space, upon today the castle is still there. Plans for restoration are also mentioned, but the time hasn't been gentle to the building. Many parts are collapsed; exploring the building becomes more dangerous every month.